During Mid-April 2016, NaturesLens have been offered exclusive use of some hides in Spain, thus we are able to offer this Birds of Calera Photography Holiday; located not far from Madrid, the hides provide some great photography of some stunning species at some awesome locations! This is a photography holiday that offers unique wildlife photography of some of Spain’s best species from some of the best hides we know of.
Species you should be able to capture incredible images from the hides include the following:
- Great Bustard
- Little Bustard
- Lesser Kestrel
- Black-Shouldered Kite
- Marsh Harrier & Montagu’s Harrier
- Hoopoe, Bee Eater, Shrike, Roller & Magpie
- Curlew & more from a Lake hide
- Black Vultures
The dates for this trip are 23rd April – 1st May 2016 & we will have space for just 6 clients only.
The trip includes all hide usage, all accommodation, all meals, all transport within Spain from Madrid airport. Flights to/from Madrid are NOT included.
There is no single supplement for this trip as everyone will get their own room (couples can share obviously!).
For £1749, we will be including 7 days of hide hire & 8 nights hotel room. Flights are currently in the region of £100-120.
The general intention would be to give everyone hide time for
- Great Bustard.
- Little Bustard.
- Lesser Kestrel.
- Kites of varying types.
- Other raptors of varying types.
- Black vultures.
- Marsh Harrier & Montagu’s Harrier.
- Hoopoe, Bee Eater, Shrike, Roller & Magpie.
Additionally, whilst we state 7 days of hide hire, on some days we have been able to schedule the use of two hides for the price of one, meaning that you get to photograph one species in the morning and another in the afternoon.
A typical itinerary is as shown below – obviously this will differ per day per client as clients rotate amongst the available hides:
- Day 1 – Arrival & transfer to hotel
- Day 2 – Great Bustard Hide Photography
- Day 3 – Kestrel Hide Photography in the morning followed by photography from the Lake Hide in the afternoon
- Day 4 – Great Bustard Hide Photography
- Day 5 – Little Bustard Photography in the morning followed by Lesser Kestrel photography in the afternoon
- Day 6 – Raptor Hide Photography
- Day 7 – Lesser Kestrel Hide Photography in the morning followed by Bee Eater photography in the afternoon
- Day 8 – Black Shouldered Kite Photography
- Day 9 – Depart & return to airport
Please register your interest in the booking form below.
Maximum 6 clients – Spaces available
We recommend that you dress up warmly for early morning starts – it can get quite cold sitting in the hide in the early hours. Wearing layers is advisable so that they may be shed at a later stage where necessary.
For our boat trips, non-slip waterproof boots or wellington boots are recommended. As with most boats water can slosh through the scuppers if the boat rolls so sandals or light pumps can get wet and spoil your enjoyment.
- Waterproof (and windproof) coat.
- Warm trousers, preferably waterproof.
- Thermal clothing.
- Thermal socks.
- Non slip waterproof boots or wellington boots (no cleats or studs please).
- Waterproof cap or hat.
- Warm fleece for early morning starts and once the sun has set.
- Clothing for hide work should be camouflage or neutral browns & greens.
- Water bottle or flask for tea & coffee.
- Travel sickness pills.
- Digital camera body.
- Lenses in the range 70mm – 500mm.
- Lenses with f2.8 will give the best light capture and speed of focussing.
- An alternative to long telephoto lenses is a tele-converter (e.g. 1.4x or 2x).
- Monopod or tripod.
- Remote shutter release.
- Spare memory cards.
- Spare battery.
- Battery charger.
- Lens cleaning cloth.
- Camera and lens waterproof cover.
- Laptop or another type of storage device – we will be shooting lots of images.
Additional NotesThe residential workshop itinerary is subject to change & is to be considered provisional.
NaturesLens residential workshops require a minimum number of participants, if sufficient residential workshop places are not sold the residential workshop may not be run, this residential workshop has a minimum participant level of 4 plus NaturesLens guide(s).
Not all mentioned wildlife can be observed & photographed at all times of the year, thus some activities may be considered seasonal & not available.