THIS EVENT IS NOW PAST – PLEASE VIEW THIS PAGE TO RESERVE A PLACE ON THE 2018 PHOTOGRAPHY HOLIDAY
Join NaturesLens in Florida for their Ospreys of Blue Cypress Lake Photography Holiday which is to be conducted on & around Blue Cypress Lake. This location offers amazing opportunities to photograph hundreds of ospreys nesting above a large lake each morning & evening.
Blue Cypress Lake oﬀers fantastic opportunities to photograph hundreds of ospreys nesting above a large lake. The lake’s name comes from the blue appearance of the cypress trees as the morning sun’s rays reﬂect oﬀ the water.
The location for our Ospreys of Blue Cypress Lake Photography Workshop is the stunning Blue Cypress Lake in Florida, the combination of a beautiful shoreline full of Blue Cypress trees growing into the lake & over 240 Osprey nests in the trees makes an incredible photo experience.
Blue Cypress Lake is a large lake with very little developed shoreline. On the lake are hundreds of beautiful cypress trees that create a perfect nesting environment for Osprey.
In the branches of these surreal looking trees are hundreds of Osprey nests. During April, these nests are home to osprey parents & their chicks, the parent birds ﬂy across the lake & dive to ﬁsh for the bass to bring back to the young.
The activities will run between April 17th, 2016 & April 24th, 2016 & costs £2250, which works out to £325 per day including boat trips, transportation & accommodation. Accommodation is booked between April 16th & April 24th 2016.
The NaturesLens Ospreys of Blue Cypress Lake Photography Workshop does not include international ﬂights & any meals other than those previously stated.
The 2016 trip is being run at a discounted rate as it is the initial year of NaturesLens ofﬁcially running the trip – in subsequent years, the cost will be at least £500 more.
All photos on this page are representative of the opportunities available should you join us on this holiday – Photos used on this page are used with the kind permission of Fabiola Forns.
Ospreys of Blue Cypress Lake Highlights
- Five early morning 2½ – 3 hour boat trips to photograph the ospreys on the lake plus several optional (at extra cost) early morning visits to rookeries for bird photography.
- Photograph Ospreys on their nests at eye level, diving for ﬁsh or gathering nest material.
- The timing of the workshop is deliberate so that we can observe the parents bring ﬁsh to their new offspring.
- Photograph amazing & endangered species like Ospreys, Bald Eagles, Herons, Snail Kites & more.
- Bed & breakfast accommodation & transportation within Florida included.
- Accommodation is in a comfortable hotel in the Vero Beach area of Florida.
- Based on Twin shared rooms – single supplement is available.
- Non-photographer rate available – but must be accompanied by a photographer.
- Also includes an optional (at extra cost) day visit to the Viera Wetlands Centre a haven for birdlife & an optional (at extra cost) day visit to an alligator farm with a large wading bird rookery – both offer great photographic opportunities.
Group numbers are strictly limited to allow everyone to get a great position on the boats that we use during the osprey photography workshop to venture out onto the lake, whilst on the boat & during other activities, general advice will be given before the commencement of each element of the trip.
This osprey photography workshop is most suitable for experienced photographers due to the need to react quickly to the movements of the ospreys as they dive.
Ospreys are superb ﬁshers & indeed eat little else, ﬁsh make up some 99 percent of their diet. Because of this appetite, these birds can be found near ponds, rivers, lakes, & coastal waterways around the world.
NaturesLens guides will, if necessary, take you through camera control, ISO requirements & other settings prior to each element of the trip.
If interested, please reserve a place on this workshop using the booking form below.
Single supplement – waived if we can pair you up with another single traveller – £250.00
Maximum 6 clients – Space available
This list is a guide on what to take on the tour. Don’t worry if you don’t have all the items listed as it wouldn’t all fit in your luggage /camera bag anyway! Items in BOLD are classed as essentials.
- Digital Camera Body.
- Spare digital camera body.
- Telephoto lens – no shorter than 200mm, but 300mm or longer is advisable. If you have a 400, 500 or 600mm lens, bring it!
- 1.4x Teleconverter/Extender. If you have to buy one for this for the trip, please make sure you get one that works with your telephoto lens. If the longest lens you have is 200mm, a teleconverter/extender is essential.
- 2.0x teleconverter /extender. Again, if you have to buy one for this trip, please make sure you get one that works with your telephoto lens.
- 24-105mm or another wide angle lens.
- Sturdy tripod with a gimbal type tripod head is advised.
- Right angled viewfinder.
- Spare memory cards.
- Spare batteries.
- Battery charger.
- Lens cleaning cloth.
- Camera and lens dust cover.
- Card reader.
- Laptop or another type of storage device.
Camera & Lens Recommendations:
In general, a 500mm lens can prove too much. The ideal lens would be 300mm + 1.4x converter or/and 100-400mm f5.6 Canon or 200-400mm f4 Nikon, Nikon 80-400mm f5,6.
Full frame sensor:
In general 500mm, but optimal would be 400mm plus 1.4x converter or 300mm with 1.4x and 2x converter. Very good lens for full frame would also be a 70-200mm f2.8 plus 1.4x converter.
- Thin neutral coloured t-shirts & blouses.
- Neutral coloured trousers.
- Hat (a safari style hat with a broad rim all around the edge is best).
- Bandana (to protect your nose and mouth from dust).
- Sensible shoes or boots for safari.
- Flip flops or easy shoes for the lodge.
Additional NotesNaturesLens photography holidays include only the travel stated on the event page, flights of any nature are not included. Flight details, where applicable, are made available to clients in plenty of time to allow for booking at the best prices available.
The photography holiday itinerary is subject to change & is to be considered provisional.
NaturesLens photography holidays require a minimum number of participants, if sufficient photography holiday places are not sold the photography holiday may not be run, this photography holiday has a minimum participant level of 3 plus NaturesLens guide(s).
Not all mentioned wildlife can be observed & photographed at all times of the year, thus some activities may be considered seasonal & not available.
Unless stated otherwise, most NaturesLens wildlife photography holidays are suitable for single travellers, we design our holidays so that each participant gets their own room, there is no sharing & no single supplement - if this is unclear for any event, please check the accomodation arrangements prior to making a booking.
Please note the cuisine on many of the NaturesLens wildlife photography holidays is authentic & typical of the region in which you are travelling, international or western cuisine is often NOT available - if this is unclear for any event, please check the cuisine arrangements prior to making a booking.