Fair Isle, measuring at just 3km wide & barely 5km long is Britain’s most remote inhabited island. It can be found marooned in the North Sea between Shetland & Orkney. Due to its location it is not the easiest place to get to. But once you set foot on the island, it truly is a puffin paradise & with almost 24 hours of daylight during June it is a photographers dream. The puffin population on Fair Isle may not be the biggest in the UK, but it is difficult to argue that it isn’t the most beautiful. Read on for my thoughts on the Puffins of Fair Isle & why Shetland, & in particular, Fair Isle, is one of the best locations to capture images of the comical clowns of the sea.
We have just launched a new trip to photograph the most charismatic sea bird of them all, the puffin, our new Puffins of Fair Isle Photography Holiday takes place on Fair Isle an offshore island so remote it feels like you are entering a community far removed from the rest of the world, Fair Isle is owned by the National Trust for Scotland, a jewel protected by soaring craggy cliffs, one moment bathed in sunshine the next topped by a crown of brooding fog.
Dramatic & untouched, our Puffins of Fair Isle Photography Holiday sets the scene for images so atmospheric; they are nothing short of mesmerising.
So, why not head to Shetland, guided by award winning photographer Kevin Morgans, the NaturesLens Puffins of Fair Isle Photography Holiday offers an opportunity to add the distinctive brightly coloured bill & puffy cheeks of the Puffin to your photography portfolio.
Like many of our other trips, all participants who travel alone will have their own room, with no sharing.
The accommodation is on a full board basis in the Fair Isle Bird Observatory & Guesthouse.
Dates are June 16, 2016 – June 21, 2016.
UNTIL NOVEMBER 8th 2015, A DISCOUNTED PRICE OF £999 INSTEAD OF £1099 IS AVAILABLE
We are happy to announce an osprey workshop for July, 2015; NaturesLens have secured accommodation & hide spaces for a stunning Osprey Photography Holiday during July 2015; these osprey photography sessions are one of the most exciting sessions of photography a wildlife photographer can encounter. The sessions typically start at 4.30am, the anticipation builds, the birds come in to fish, a splash as the bird dives to the loch an to grab a trout, then the lift-off … an exhilarating experience to photograph.
The bulk of the days are free for participants to catch up on sleep, however, one of the days does include an early evening session of Osprey Photography in the same hides. These evening sessions provide opportunities for backlit shots.
The NaturesLens Osprey Photography Holiday, which costs £599, includes:
- Two morning hide sessions for photography of the ospreys as they fish to feed their new offspring.
- One evening hide session for photography of the diving ospreys.
- Accommodation at the High Range Lodge Hotel from July 9th – July 11th.
- Tuition as required.
In addition to the Osprey Photography Holiday in Aviemore, NaturesLens will, if demand is sufficient, run a 3 day trip immediately afterwards to Mull for several days of Sea Eagle Photography. This extension will include transport to Mull, three nights bed & breakfast accommodation, two public Sea Eagle Photography Cruises & two exclusive Sea Eagle Photography Cruises.
An offshore island so remote it feels like you are entering a community far removed from the rest of the world, Fair Isle is owned by the National Trust for Scotland, a jewel protected by soaring craggy cliffs, one moment bathed in sunshine the next topped by a crown of brooding fog.
Dramatic & untouched, our Puffins of Fair Isle wildlife photography trip sets the scene for images so atmospheric; they are nothing short of mesmerising.
With just 70 islanders inhabiting Fair Isle, the world famous bird population far outnumbers the island’s human caretakers. An internationally renowned bird observatory, Fair Isle’s tiny status – just 3 km wide & barely 5 km long – gives little hint to the world class seabird colony & migration research that goes on here.
Once home to Viking warlords, there is now no better place to experience Puffins up close than Fair Isle. In winter the hilly terrain is covered in snow & ice, in spring & summer blanketed in flowers. The puffins adapt accordingly, nesting in burrows & squeezing into crevices in the cliffs. The colony is naturally most active in early morning, virtually guaranteeing optimal lighting for nature photography.
Guided by award winning photographer Kevin Morgans, the NaturesLens Puffins of Fair Isle photography trip offers an opportunity to add the distinctive brightly coloured bill & puffy cheeks of the Puffin to your photography portfolio.
The stated trip cost includes accommodation on Fair Isle on a full board basis, flight from Sumburgh to Fair Isle & ferry back from the island to Sumburgh. The itinerary is flexible in between the puffin sessions to allow you to photograph other species of birds such as Skua or go off on your own to explore the rest of the island.
Maximum 6 clients – Spaces available
We recommend that you dress up warmly for early morning starts – it can get quite cold sitting in the hide in the early hours. Wearing layers is advisable so that they may be shed at a later stage where necessary.
For our boat trips, non-slip waterproof boots or wellington boots are recommended. As with most boats water can slosh through the scuppers if the boat rolls so sandals or light pumps can get wet and spoil your enjoyment.
- Waterproof (and windproof) coat.
- Warm trousers, preferably waterproof.
- Thermal clothing.
- Thermal socks.
- Non slip waterproof boots or wellington boots (no cleats or studs please).
- Waterproof cap or hat.
- Warm fleece for early morning starts and once the sun has set.
- Clothing for hide work should be camouflage or neutral browns & greens.
- Water bottle or flask for tea & coffee.
- Travel sickness pills.
- Digital camera body.
- Lenses in the range 70mm – 500mm.
- Lenses with f2.8 will give the best light capture and speed of focussing.
- An alternative to long telephoto lenses is a tele-converter (e.g. 1.4x or 2x).
- Monopod or tripod.
- Remote shutter release.
- Spare memory cards.
- Spare battery.
- Battery charger.
- Lens cleaning cloth.
- Camera and lens waterproof cover.
- Laptop or another type of storage device – we will be shooting lots of images.
The residential workshop itinerary is subject to change & is to be considered provisional.
NaturesLens residential workshops require a minimum number of participants, if sufficient residential workshop places are not sold the residential workshop may not be run, this residential workshop has a minimum participant level of 4 plus NaturesLens guide(s).
- Basic Birds of Prey Photography Workshops in Kent
- Booking Form – British Owl Photography in Evening Light
- Booking Form – Great Grey Owl Photography in Evening Light
- Booking Form – Welsh Birds of Prey Photography Workshop
- Booking Form – Welsh Owls Photography Workshop
- Manage Subscriptions
- Nature & Wildlife Photography Holidays & Workshops
- Nature & Wildlife Photography Holidays – Wild Planet
- Osprey Photography Holiday in Aviemore
- Registration Cancelled
- Registration Checkout
- Skomer Puffins Photography Holiday
- Thank You
- Welsh Birds of Prey – May 2013
- Who’s Who @ NaturesLens
- Winter Wildlife Photography Workshop – Dec. 2013
- Advanced Birds of Prey Photography Workshops
- Specialist Birds of Prey Photography Workshops
- Seasonal Birds of Prey Photography Workshops
- Species Spotlight
- Owls in Snow Photography Workshop
- Nature & Wildlife Photography Tours & Workshops in Scotland
- Yudanaka & Hokkaido Winter Wildlife Photography Tour
- Photograph Snow Monkeys as part of a Winter Tour of Japan
- Photograph Snow Monkeys in Japan as part of our stunning Winter Tour
- Photography Red-Crowned Cranes in Japan
- Nature & Wildlife Photography Tours & Workshops in Wales
- Winter Wildlife Photography Tour in Japan
- Winter Whooper Swan Photography in Japan
- White Tailed & Steller’s Sea Eagle Photography in Japan during Winter
- Workshop & Tour Booking Terms and Conditions
- Many thanks for contacting us
- Skomer Puffins Photography Holiday
- Wildlife Photography Event Newsletter Subscription
- Our Clients View
- Terms of Website Use
- Worldwide Nature & Wildlife Photography Tours
- United Kingdom Wildlife Photography Workshops & Tours
- United Kingdom Nature Photography Workshops & Tours
- Bespoke Tour Request
- About Us
- Birds Of Prey Photography Workshops
- Birds of Prey Photography Workshops
- Nature Photography Workshop Special Offers
- Contact Us
- Wildlife Photography Tour Group Discounts