David has visited Lake Kerkini & the Dalmatian Pelicans with NaturesLens for the past 2 years. But in his third year, things were very different. The area was experiencing its coldest winter in 60 years with snow & ice on the ground. As for the lake, it was completely frozen!
But all was not lost, quite the opposite in fact, the circumstances meant the group had the opportunity to produce some truly unique images that otherwise would not have been possible.; here are a small selection of images that David has kindly shared with us.
Boat trips were replaced with visits to the shoreline where there were small pockets of water. The Pelicans were initially wary of the group but instantly warmed to them when they realised they had fish! Thanks to the lake being frozen over, David was able to get quite close to the adult Pelicans. Sadly, by the time group 2 arrived, much of the snow & ice had melted.
Meanwhile the juveniles were having a whale of a time! They were quite happy to stand around in the snow & pose or preen for shots. If they were rewarded with fish, so much the better!
David is heading back to Kerkini & the Dalmatian Pelicans, with us in 2018. We look forward to sharing his images again.
DO YOU WANT TO PHOTOGRAPH KERKINI & THE DALMATIAN PELICANS FOR YOURSELF?
We have a couple of spaces remaining on the first trip of 2018, this is an opportunity for you to undertake photography of the Dalmatian Pelicans on Lake Kerkini for yourself; the photography holiday costs £1049 each participant, this price excludes air travel to Thessaloniki itself – all ground transportation from Thessaloniki & back, & to & from shoot locations, accommodation & guidance/tuition is included, the dates for the Dalmatian Pelicans of Lake Kerkini Photography Holiday are January 11 – 15, 2018.
To hold a place on the trip, we only require a 20% deposit from you, with the balance due 12 weeks prior to the trip taking place.
Dalmatian Pelicans of Lake Kerkini
- 2015 Dalmatian Pelican photography holiday report
- Our Dalmatian Pelican images get a magazine spread
- Dalmatian Pelican Photography Holidays client images
- Still more client images of the Dalmatian Pelicans
- The last of the Dalmatian Pelican client images
- The dreamy Dalmatian Pelicans of the Greek Lakes
- Dalmatian Pelicans on an icy Lake Kerkini
- A frozen Lake Kerkini & the Dalmatian Pelicans
- Some of andy’s Kerkini photography tour images
- A different angle on Kerkini’s Dalmatian Pelicans
- Pelicans of Greece … continued …
- Johan’s images of Kerkini’s Dalmatian Pelicans
- The 1st of a series of images captured on Lake Kerkini by Sean
- More imagery of the Kerkini Pelicans from Sean
- The last of the Dalmatian Pelican images from Sean
- Pui Hang’s review of the 2017 Dalmatian Pelican Photography Tour
- Annette’s images from our Dalmatian Pelican Photography Holiday
- Sean reports in from this year’s trio of Kerkini Pelican Photography Holidays
- Steen’s images of the Pelicans of Lake Kerkini
- Lake Kerkini’s Pelicans by Rosamund
- Dalmatian Pelican Images from John Chamberlin
- The Pelicans of Lake Kerkini by Richard
- Karen’s Pelicans of Lake Kerkini
- Jessica’s Images of the Dalmatian Pelicans of Greece
- Omar’s Images of the Dalmatian Pelicans of Greece
- 12 mesmerizing images of the Dalmatian Pelicans of Kerkini
- 10 beautiful images showing what can be captured during our Dalmatian Pelican Photography Tours