Our new tour to photograph the Winter Pumas of Patagonia is scheduled to run during mid-August 2022 & costs £8499 per person for seven full days of puma spotting, which is more days than comparable trips.
However, if you book & pay your deposit now & we can fill this Puma Photography Holiday prior to October 2020, we can secure 2020 pricing which would drop the cost of this trip down to £6999 which is a saving of £1500!
A full trip is 4 clients – so you should not find this to be a crowded affair.
is one of the world’s top wildlife destinations
to experience real wildness & also some dramatic wildlife photography. Located between rich subpolar forests & the vast Patagonian steppes, the backbone of the park is the Paine mountain range, with the famous & much-photographed Cuernos (horns) del Paine as its centrepiece. This 2,100 m massive granite formation rises abruptly over the surrounding plains, providing a unique & extremely photogenic backdrop.
Our primary focus
on this tour is very much on the resident puma
(also known as cougar & mountain lion
) population of Torres del Paine National Park & its surrounding areas. We will be working with the local trackers involved in the National Geographic coverage of these magnificent animals. Some of the population are amazingly tolerant to people, so close encounters, while we are on foot, are a genuine possibility
. We have deliberately chosen to visit early in the season because there is less traffic in the park & on the ranch & the pumas are a bit more active during the day, which always helps with the photography! Also, if we are lucky, we may have the opportunity to photograph them in the last snows
as winter turns to spring.
With glacial forest & stunning mountain landscapes never far away, guanacos, condors, flamingos, grey foxes & torrent ducks among many other species that we may well come across. This is a genuinely fantastic opportunity to experience the very best that this dramatic corner of South America has to offer at a particularly exciting time of the year.
Our photography will take place at the ranch Estancia Amarga
, where we are one of the few selected operators allowed to work inside the property & search for puma along the grounds of this magnificent private area, adjacent to the park & now, entirely committed to Puma conservation. This allows us the freedom to hop out of our 4×4 vehicles to walk off trail to get closer to where the pumas have been spotted.
Finding a wild puma in such beautiful surroundings, on foot, with no physical barrier between you & the cat is one of the most exhilarating experiences to be had anywhere in the world.
- Day 1: Pick up from the airport & taken to a hotel in Punta Arenas to overnight
- Day 2: We leave Punta Arenas towards the north-west towards Torres del Paine National Park. The drive is a scenic one, taking us into the Southern Andes, with fertile valleys & perennial snow-covered peaks. Transfer time from Punta Arenas to Torres del Paine is about 5 – 6 hours. As we approach the park, there is always a chance to spot some of the wildlife of the area, & also views of the Torres Peaks. Arrive at our comfortable provincial hotel where we will stay for 8 nights.
- Days 3 – 9: Puma spotting. After breakfast, we will take a packed lunch with us so that we can spend the day looking for the pumas. The aim is to be in the field by 9.30 am & back to the hotel by 6 pm each day. We will follow this pattern over each of these seven full days to really maximise our chances of not just encounters, but special ones too. We will be doing this in vehicles & sometimes on foot, in different parts of the area but utilising the services of our trackers who work with pumas throughout the year, so our chances are good. Once we have discovered an individual or family, it will be possible to return to them on an on-going basis.
- Day 10: Transfer to hotel in Punta Arenas to overnight.
- Day 11: Transfer to airport
OUR PUMA PHOTOGRAPHY HOLIDAY INCLUDES:
- All accommodation in a shared room, full-board basis starting with dinner on the first night & ending with breakfast on the last day.
- A single supplement is available at a cost.
- Airport transfers
- 7 days puma searching including Land Use Fee for Estancia Laguna Amarga for all participants
- National Park Entrance fees
- Driver & Guide
- Photographic Tuition
OUR PUMA PHOTOGRAPHY HOLIDAY EXCLUDES:
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Items of a personal nature
Don’t forget, there is a saving of £1500 per person if we can fill this trip prior to prior to October 2020!
VIEW THE DETAILS OF OUR PUMA PHOTOGRAPHY HOLIDAY