Dalmatian Pelicans of Lake Kerkini Photography Holiday Details
Dalmatian Pelicans of Lake Kerkini Photography Holiday
Join NaturesLens in Greece for their Dalmatian Pelican Photography Holiday which is to be conducted on & around Lake Kerkini. The lake has impressive snowcapped mountains to the northern edges providing a perfect photographic backdrop. The photographic opportunities on our Dalmatian Pelican Photography Holiday will be sublime – with opportunities for shots from both the shoreline & on the water itself. Lake Kerkini, situated in northern Greece, not far from the border with Bulgaria, is the setting for our Dalmatian Pelican Photography Workshop – in winter, Lake Kerkini, is the most important place in Europe for the globally threatened Dalmatian Pelican, additionally, the lake is a noted haunt of the rare Spotted Eagle. NaturesLens have arranged for the clients to venture, using boats, out on to the lake itself, it is expected therefore that clients will be able to enjoy incredible close encounters with the magniﬁcent Dalmatian Pelicans, many of which should be sporting full breeding plumage at this time of year. In January, Lake Kerkini is also home to large numbers of Pygmy Cormorants & thousands of wintering Greater Flamingos. Our main photographic target is the Dalmatian Pelican (Pelecanus Crisps), from mid-January until end of March they are at their most attractive with full breeding plumage on show & vocal displays to impress the females. Wrap up warmly & join us for the thrill of Dalmatian Pelican Photography at one of Europe’s most important & exciting winter wetlands! The trip includes all photography trips, airport transfers & transportation from the hotel to the lake, meals & accommodation.
Dalmatian Pelicans of Lake Kerkini Photography Holiday Highlights
- 4 days ﬁlled with Dalmatian Pelican photography opportunities – 4 boat trips onto Lake Kerkini included – plus 4 shoreline feeds at sunset – plus an extra shoreline feed on the morning that we leave for the airport.
- Photograph Dalmatian Pelicans on the lake & at the shoreline, ﬁghting for ﬁsh or sitting within the landscape.
- Photograph amazing & endangered species like Greater Flamingos & Pygmy Cormorants.
- We hope to photograph a wide selection of images; both portraits & closeup shots of perched Dalmatian Pelicans, pelicans calling, ﬂying, ﬁghting for ﬁsh; plus wider bird in the landscape images to show impressive backdrop to the lake with the snow covered mountains in the distance.
- The timing of the workshop is deliberate to photograph the birds whilst they are in their breeding plumage & looking their most impressive.
- Lunch, dinner, bed & breakfast accommodation & transportation within Greece included.
- Accommodation is in a comfortable hotel on the shores of Lake Kerkini.
Group numbers are strictly limited to allow everyone to get a great position on the boats that we use during the Dalmatian Pelicans photography workshop to venture out onto the lake, whilst on the boat & during other activities, general advice will be given before the commencement of each element of the trip. With a boat trip each morning & a shoreline feed each evening, we certainly hope to capture many facets of the Dalmatian Pelicans personality as they go about life on the lake – hopefully including take-oﬀ, landing & in-ﬂight shots of these magniﬁcent birds. This Dalmatian Pelican Photography Holiday is suitable for mid-level & experienced photographers.
This list is a guide on what to take on the tour. Don’t worry if you don’t have all the items listed as it wouldn’t all fit in your luggage /camera bag anyway! Items in BOLD are classed as essentials.
- Digital Camera Body.
- Spare digital camera body.
- Telephoto lens – no shorter than 200mm, but 300mm or longer is advisable. If you have a 400, 500 or 600mm lens, bring it!
- 1.4x Teleconverter/Extender. If you have to buy one for this for the trip, please make sure you get one that works with your telephoto lens. If the longest lens you have is 200mm, a teleconverter/extender is essential.
- 2.0x teleconverter /extender. Again, if you have to buy one for this trip, please make sure you get one that works with your telephoto lens.
- 24-105mm or another wide angle lens.
- Sturdy tripod with a gimbal type tripod head is advised.
- Right angled viewfinder.
- Spare memory cards.
- Spare batteries.
- Battery charger.
- Lens cleaning cloth.
- Small lightweight towel for drying wet gear and handsCamera and lens waterproof cover (clear thin plastic bags also work well to protect lenses and camera from snow).
- Card reader.
- Laptop or another type of storage device.
Camera & Lens Recommendations:
In general, a 500mm lens can prove too much. The ideal lens would be 300mm + 1.4x converter or/and 100-400mm f5.6 Canon or 200-400mm f4 Nikon, Nikon 80-400mm f5,6.
Full frame sensor:
In general 500mm, but optimal would be 400mm plus 1.4x converter or 300mm with 1.4x and 2x converter. Very good lens for full frame would also be a 70-200mm f2.8 plus 1.4x converter.
- Good thermal underwear, long-johns and long sleeved thermal under-shirts
- Warm quilted trousers, like the ones used for skiing, but not loud colors that could alarm the wildlife
- Waterproof over-trousers
- A down jacket or waterproof jacket with a thick warm fleece under it
- Snow/Thermal Boots* with a sole that is good for walking on snow and ice
- Snow studs/spikes – nothing too elaborate. Just something to give you extra grip on icy paths
- Thick warm socks
- Warm hat or hood on your jacket
- Balaclava or snood
- Silk gloves/Thin pair of thermal gloves, with rubber grip on the fingers and palm, or the fingers cut away, so that you can operate your camera with them on
- A second, larger pair of over-gloves are sometimes useful, especially if your under-gloves are fingerless
- Polar Fleeces, three or four if possible, as there are few hotels with facilities to wash your clothes
- Thin fleeces or mid-shirts, to make adjusting to various conditions easier
- Hand Warmers and Foot Warmers (that go inside your boots)
Additional NotesNaturesLens photography holidays include only the travel stated on the event page, flights of any nature are not included. Flight details, where applicable, are made available to clients in plenty of time to allow for booking at the best prices available.
The photography holiday itinerary is subject to change & is to be considered provisional.
NaturesLens photography holidays require a minimum number of participants, if sufficient photography holiday places are not sold the photography holiday may not be run, this photography holiday has a minimum participant level of 4 plus NaturesLens guide(s).
Not all mentioned wildlife can be observed & photographed at all times of the year, thus some activities may be considered seasonal & not available.
Unless stated otherwise, most NaturesLens wildlife photography holidays are suitable for single travellers, we design our holidays so that each participant gets their own room, there is no sharing & no single supplement - if this is unclear for any event, please check the accomodation arrangements prior to making a booking.
Please note the cuisine on many of the NaturesLens wildlife photography holidays is authentic & typical of the region in which you are travelling, international or western cuisine is often NOT available - if this is unclear for any event, please check the cuisine arrangements prior to making a booking.