- This event has passed.
2019 – Butterflies & Macro Subjects of Bulgaria Photography Holiday
June 2, 2019 - June 9, 2019£1399
The Butterflies & Macro Photography of Bulgaria Holiday is of 7 nights duration & is ideal for photographing butterflies, orchids & more, & is offered on a full board, non-shared basis, between the dates of 2nd - 9th June 2019. You can hold a place with a £300 deposit, the trip itself costs £1399 per participant per participant.
The summer season offers fantastic opportunities thanks to the area’s rich biodiversity & variety of habitats.
The sessions will comprise of early starts & late evenings to take advantage of the best light & the fact that the butterflies & insects are normally motionless at this time. The early afternoons can be used to take a siesta or enjoy the excellent panoramic views while avoiding the harsh midday sun.
The tour will start with two nights in a small village east of Sofia where the guides & you will explore the area for fritillaries, blues, gliders & emperors before moving on to a picturesque village in the heart of the Sredna Gora mountain range. The area has been designated as an architectural reserve & we will spend a couple of days here exploring local meadows for Chequered, Large, Alcon & other blues, Russian Heath, Black-veined White, White Admiral, many fritillaries & skippers, as well as dragonflies & damselflies.
Our final destination is 3-night stay in a butterfly rich plateau in the Western Rhodope mountains. Here we will explore the surrounding meadows, looking for fritillaries, blues, hairstreaks, skippers & orchids.
The species that have been photographed on previous photography holidays to the same regions include apollo, black hairstreak, chequered blue, dark green fritillary, niobe fritillary, dingy skipper, eastern baton blue, eastern festoon, essex skipper, glanville fritillary, green underside blue, grizzled skipper, heath fritillary, high brown fritillary, holly blue, idas blue, ilex hair streak, knapweed fritillary, large blue, large grizzled skipper, large skipper, lesser spotted fritillary, long-tailed blue, lulworth skipper, mallow skipper, marbled fritillary, marbled skipper, oberthur’s grizzled skipper, orbed red-underwing skipper, osiris blue, queen of spain fritillary, reverdin’s blue, scarce copper, scarce swallowtail, silver-studded blue, silver-washed fritillary, sloe hairstreak, small blue, spotted fritillary, swallowtail, tufted marbled skipper, twin spot fritillary, weaver’s fritillary, white letter hairstreak, yellow-banded skipper – so there is plenty there to fill any portfolio!
Photographable Species: apollo, black hairstreak, chequered blue, dark green fritillary, dingy skipper, eastern baton blue, eastern festoon, essex skipper, glanville fritillary, green underside blue, grizzled skipper, heath fritillary, high brown fritillary, holly blue, idas blue, ilex hair streak, knapweed fritillary, large blue, large grizzled skipper, large skipper, lesser spotted fritillary, long-tailed blue, lulworth skipper, mallow skipper, marbled fritillary, marbled skipper, niobe, oberthur's grizzled skipper, orbed red-underwing skipper, osiris blue, queen of spain fritillary, reverdin's blue, scarce copper, scarce swallowtail, silver-studded blue, silver-washed fritillary, sloe hairstreak, small blue, spotted fritillary, swallowtail, tufted marbled skipper, twin-spot fritillary, weaver's fritillary, white letter hairstreak, yellow-banded skipper
Butterflies & Macro Subjects of Bulgaria Photography Holiday Itinerary
day 1 - sunday - 2nd june, 2019
flight to sofia from home location & transfer to a small village east of sofia
day 2 - monday - 3rd june, 2019
morning & afternoon photography
day 3 - tuesday - 4th june, 2019
morning & afternoon photography & transfer to sredna gora mountain range
day 4 - wednesday - 5th june, 2019
morning & afternoon photography
day 5 - thursday - 6th june, 2019
morning & afternoon photography & transfer to western rhodope mountains
day 6 - friday - 7th june, 2019
morning & afternoon game drive or hide photography
day 7 - saturday - 8th june, 2019
morning & afternoon game drive or hide photography
day 8 - sunday - 9th june, 2019
transfer to sofia & flight to home location
- Accommodation on a non-shared basis (with no single supplement payable)
- All in-trip transportation
- All photography sessions & appropriate permits
- Food on a full board basis
- Guidance & advice from our Photography Holiday Guides
- Transportation between photographic locations
- All Drinks
- Any activities not listed on the itinerary
- Meals not listed on the itinerary
- Personal expenses of any type
- Required Insurances
- Tips & Gratuities
- Transportation to start location
What our clients say
- Annette - Dalmatian Pelicans - 2018
Perfect organization, wonderful guide, beautiful location, gorgeous models, breathtaking early morning boat trips, nice people, good food & a lot of fun.
- Make a Booking Enquiry
- How to Book
- Before booking, it is important that you read the relevant past event event page & our Booking Terms & Conditions. If you have any doubts regarding your suitability for this past event, please contact us. To book, simply click the relevant link from the event page on our website. You will then be sent a booking form & a copy of our terms & conditions. In order to secure your place on the selected past event, simply complete the booking form with details of all persons travelling & holiday indemnity, in relevant cases, & return to us (either by email or by post) with confirmation that the deposit has been paid. Payments should be made via bank transfer.
- Recommended Equipment
Recommended Camera Equipment
For this photography holiday, we would recommend that you have available, an array of lenses at the lower end of the scale, the longest lens you will require will be a 70-200mm, but a dedicated macro lens or extension tubes is going to the be the workhorse for this photography holiday. A wide angle would also be useful if you fancy capturing some birds in the environment shots.
If you own a lens with an aperture of f/2.8 within the recommended focal length, bring it! These will allow you to focus on your subject faster & will also be useful in low light conditions.
You should also pack a tripod to help steady your lens, especially when you are out photographing at dawn & dusk.
For this photography holiday, the weather can be changeable so we would recommend that you pack layers of thin fleeces or mid shirts & jumpers since you can remove items of clothing as you start to warm up. You don't need to bring camouflage clothes but please do pack neutral coloured clothes so that you blend into the landscape. You should also bring a warm waterproof coat & waterproof trousers in case it rains, so you are covered for all eventualities.
Silk gloves or a thin pair of thermal gloves with rubber grip on the fingers & palm will help to keep your hands warm. Silk gloves are great for wicking away moisture from your hands, leaving them dry & therefore lovely & warm. Gloves where the fingers are cut away so that you can operate your camera with them on would be a good substitute.
Don't forget to pack sensible waterproof walking boots & a warm hat to protect your head.
- Additional Notes
- The past event itinerary is subject to change & is to be considered provisional. NaturesLens past events require a minimum number of participants in order to be viable. If this minimum number is not met, the past event may not go ahead. This past event has a minimum participant level of 4 plus NaturesLens guide(s). In the event that the minimum number for a past event to go ahead is not reached, NaturesLens reserves the right to cancel any given past event. In that event 100% of monies received will be returned. However, NaturesLens is not responsible for expenses incurred by its customers. Not all mentioned wildlife can be observed & photographed at all times of the year, thus some activities may be considered seasonal & not available. NaturesLens reserves the right to accept or decline any person as a member of any past event. Payment of deposit by past event participants or their representative constitutes their acceptance of all conditions contained herein. All bookings are made subject to our terms & conditions. Travel Insurance RequirementsIt is a condition of booking that you are insured against medical & personal accident risks. This must include cover for the activities to be undertaken during the photography holiday. We also strongly recommend you take out cover for cancellation & curtailment & baggage cover. We have made use of the services of Campbell Irvine Insurance in the past, Campbell Irvine has policies which are specially designed for adventure holidays & are underwritten by AXA Insurance. As an alternative, check your standard travel insurance, many bank accounts include suitable insurance as part of a packaged deal. Personal Travel Insurance can be arranged directly at Campbell Irvine. For photographic insurance, we highly recommend the services of Glover & Howe. We have made use of their policies for a number of years now, adjustments, policy maintenance & claims are handled in an easy & professional manner by them.
Butterflies & Macro Subjects of Bulgaria Photography Holiday Summary
Butterflies & Macro Subjects of Bulgaria Photography Holiday Payment Details
- Deposit required to secure a place: £300 payable upon making a booking.
- Final balance payment due: March 2nd, 2019*. Bookings made after this date will require the full payment to secure a place.
- Bookings close: June 1st, 2019.
- No-interest payment plan: we offer a no-interest payment plan for our photography holidays. Please enquire for details.
- * Unless stated otherwise on our event booking form.