2021 – Grizzly Bears of the Taku River Photography Holiday
August 11, 2021 - August 19, 2021£7999 £7499
The subject focus of this 8 night wildlife photography experience are the Grizzly Bears of the Taku River; the real rulers of the forest. You will have the chance to witness in awe their power, intelligence & true nature, making them the perfect subject for any keen wildlife photographer.
The area surrounding the Taku River is short on people & big on wilderness … & grizzly bears. Every day of this photographic holiday is full of experiences designed around viewing numerous grizzlies & bald eagles. Irregularly moose & wolves are added to the list of sightings.
Our long-standing local guides are experts in bear behaviour & dedicated to providing you with a safe & personal bear viewing experience. Our guide-to-guest ratio is among the highest in the business.
In contrast to popular belief, grizzly bears are not threatening creatures by nature; they are curious, tolerant & not interested in getting into trouble with photographers. As long as photographers remain respectful & stay calm, grizzly bears can be wonderful subjects for wildlife photography; allowing you to make the most of their captivating behaviour. The forests that cover this region provide a stunning backdrop for imagery, as the depth of green hues & soft light penetrating the treetops create an environment that is both peaceful & mysterious for you to capture on camera.
You will be completely absorbed by the world of the Grizzly Bears of Taku River from the moment you arrive, living within their forest environment from dawn until dusk. Bears of all ages, both male & female, will be present throughout your trip, so there are hugely diverse bear photography opportunities for you to utilise including the chance to photograph adorable grizzly cubs as they explore & learn to survive.
The success of this grizzly bear photographic holiday, in just the same way as the Yukon photography holiday, is based on tolerance, respect & knowledge. From our local guides, you will discover that this peaceful co-existence with bears is as comfortable & relaxed as it is safe & entertaining!
The camp design & infrastructure is designed to maximise your bear experience – this doesn’t mean that the camp doesn’t offer guests a typical warm northern hospitality & delightful & healthy cuisine – you will be living in traditionally styled luxury with everything from electricity to laundry service in the middle of a vast untamed wilderness.
From late-July through to mid-August, large numbers of grizzly bears congregate in this area to take advantage of the plentiful pink & Chinook salmon that run up the Taku River to spawn. For the past 20 years these bears have been treated with total respect by the small controlled number of human guests, & consequently, these grizzly bears are entirely relaxed around people.
This, in turn, offers perhaps the most dramatic & honest photography moments imaginable – the bears come so close that you will find yourself taking pictures with a wide angle lens! On a daily basis, there will be numerous close encounters with the bears, & David & Pui Hang will spend the week helping you get the most out of these photographic openings, with tuition, guidance & advice for all levels of photographer.
All internal transfers, accommodation & meals at the camp are all included to make things as straightforward & enjoyable for you as possible.
The location of the base for the trip can only be accessed by helicopter, & we also include this exciting experience in the price of the trip, which offers you another unique view of the landscape. The nature of the trip means group sizes must be kept small to allow for the best possible experience for photographer & animal alike, so booking early is essential.
International flights, drinks & items of a personal nature are excluded.
Join NaturesLens for on a unique photography excursion into the wilderness of British Columbia, capturing beautiful images of the impressive apex predators as they thrive in their picturesque natural habitat. We can only offer a select few people this opportunity each year, so book early to avoid missing out.
Photographable Species: bald eagle, grizzly bear
Grizzly Bears of the Taku River Photography Holiday Itinerary
day 1 - wednesday - 11th august, 2021
flight to whitehorse from home location, overnight in whitehorse
day 2 - thursday - 12th august, 2021
early shuttle bus transfer to atlin & helicopter transfer to the camp where our bear viewing adventure begins
day 3 - friday - 13th august, 2021
grizzly bear viewing
day 4 - saturday - 14th august, 2021
grizzly bear viewing
day 5 - sunday - 15th august, 2021
grizzly bear viewing
day 6 - monday - 16th august, 2021
grizzly bear viewing
day 7 - tuesday - 17th august, 2021
grizzly bear viewing
day 8 - wednesday - 18th august, 2021
morning flight by helicopter to atlin & shuttle bus transfer back to whitehorse
day 9 - thursday - 19th august, 2021
flight to home location
- Accommodation on a non-shared basis (with no single supplement payable)
- Airport Transfers
- All in-trip transportation
- All photography sessions & appropriate permits
- Food on a full board basis
- Guidance & advice from our Photography Holiday Guides
- Any activities not listed on the itinerary
- Meals not listed on the itinerary
- Personal expenses of any type
- Required Insurances
- Tips & Gratuities
- Transportation to start location
What our clients say
- Mark - Winter Wildlife of Japan - February 2018
The team lead a flawless trip that encompassed stunning scenery, superb local accommodation through to the main reason for being here, the stunning wildlife.
- Make a Booking Enquiry
- How to Book
- Before booking, it is important that you read the relevant photography holiday event page & our Booking Terms & Conditions. If you have any doubts regarding your suitability for this photography holiday, please contact us. To book, simply click the relevant link from the event page on our website. You will then be sent a booking form & a copy of our terms & conditions. In order to secure your place on the selected photography holiday, simply complete the booking form with details of all persons travelling & holiday indemnity, in relevant cases, & return to us (either by email or by post) with confirmation that the deposit has been paid. Payments should be made via bank transfer.A deposit of 20% is required at the time of booking unless you are booking less than 90 days before departure. In this case, full payment of the photography holiday price is required.
- Recommended Equipment
- To be advised
Recommended Camera EquipmentTo be advised
- Additional Notes
- NaturesLens photography holidays do not include flights unless it is explicitly stated on the event page. When it is time to book your flights, we will send you the details in plenty of time to allow for bookings at the best available price. The photography holiday itinerary is subject to change & is to be considered provisional. NaturesLens photography holidays require a minimum number of participants in order to be viable. If this minimum number is not met, the photography holiday may not go ahead. This photography holiday has a minimum participant level of 6 plus NaturesLens guide(s). In the event that the minimum number for a photography holiday to go ahead is not reached, NaturesLens reserves the right to cancel any given photography holiday. In that event 100% of monies received will be returned. However, NaturesLens is not responsible for expenses incurred by its customers. Not all mentioned wildlife can be observed & photographed at all times of the year, thus some activities may be considered seasonal & not available.Please note the cuisine on many of the NaturesLens photography holidays is authentic & typical of the region in which you are travelling. International or western cuisine is often NOT available. If you have any concerns over the food arrangements or have any special dietary requirements, please contact us prior to making a booking.All personal luggage are the responsibility of the owner & we request that photography holiday participants limit their luggage to the equivalent of one suitcase, one flight bag, one camera bag & tripod. We do not wish to appear dictatorial in this matter & the request is made to ensure space & comfort for everyone in our vehicles.NaturesLens & its agents act only as agents for the passenger in all matters relating to travel arrangements, & as such, do not assume responsibility for injury, accident, damage, loss, delay or irregularity which may occur via defect of transportation or any other cause.NaturesLens reserves the right to substitute hotels, & other previously outlined arrangements as necessary, to either improve or equal the travel experience.NaturesLens reserves the right to pass on to photography holiday particpants any additional & unplanned expenditure incurred during a photography holiday, via events beyond the control of NaturesLens.
NaturesLens reserves the right to accept or decline any person as a member of any photography holiday. Payment of deposit by photography holiday participants or their representative constitutes their acceptance of all conditions contained herein. All bookings are made subject to our terms & conditions. Travel Insurance RequirementsIt is a condition of booking that you are insured against medical & personal accident risks. This must include cover for the activities to be undertaken during the photography holiday. We also strongly recommend you take out cover for cancellation & curtailment & baggage cover. We have made use of the services of Campbell Irvine Insurance in the past, Campbell Irvine has policies which are specially designed for adventure holidays & are underwritten by AXA Insurance. As an alternative, check your standard travel insurance, many bank accounts include suitable insurance as part of a packaged deal. Personal Travel Insurance can be arranged directly at Campbell Irvine. For photographic insurance, we highly recommend the services of Glover & Howe. We have made use of their policies for a number of years now, adjustments, policy maintenance & claims are handled in an easy & professional manner by them.
Grizzly Bears of the Taku River Photography Holiday Summary
Grizzly Bears of the Taku River Photography Holiday Payment Details
- Deposit required to secure a place: £1500 payable upon making a booking.
- Final balance payment due: May 11th, 2021*. Bookings made after this date will require the full payment to secure a place.
- Bookings close: May 11th, 2021.
- No-interest payment plan: we offer a no-interest payment plan for our photography holidays. Please enquire for details.
- * Unless stated otherwise on our event booking form.