2020 – Reptiles & Amphibians of Bulgaria Photography Holiday
April 15, 2020 - April 22, 2020£1899 £1699
Our main targets on this tour will be the 20 species of amphibians & 37 species of reptiles, many of whom can only be seen in this part of the continent, thanks to Bulgaria’s bio-geographical location.
The days will consist of early starts & late evenings to take advantage of the best light. Luckily, these are also the times when the amphibians & reptiles are normally motionless. Take advantage of the harsh midday sun to have a siesta or enjoy the excellent panoramic views.
Our tour will start in the Western Balkan Mountain close to Vratsa town. From there, you will travel to shores of the Danube River & some of the flooded agricultural areas where you may find amazing species such as the Danube Crested Newt, Fire-bellied Toad, Common Spadefoot, Green Toad, Common Tree Frog, Agile Frog, European Pond Terrapin, Northern Slow Worm, & Blotched Snake.
The mountain plateau of Vitosha Mountain is a short drive from your hotel in Sofia City. Here you may find rare, high mountain species such as Fire Salamander, Common Frog, Slow Worm, Sand Lizard, Viviparous Lizard, Adder, & Alpine Newt.
Reptiles & Amphibians of Bulgaria Photography Holiday Itinerary
day 1 - sunday - 15th april, 2020
flight to sofia from home location & transfer to vratsa, afternoon photography session if time permits
day 2 - monday - 16th april, 2020
morning photography in the vrachanski balkan nature park, transfer to lom
day 3 - tuesday - 17th april, 2020
morning photography along the river flows, canals & shore of the danube & transfer to sofia
day 4 - wednesday - 18th april, 2020
morning & afternoon photography in vitosha national park
day 5 - thursday - 19th april, 2020
morning photography in vitosha national park & transfer to kyustendil, close to osogovo mountain, afternoon photography session if time permits
day 6 - friday - 20th april, 2020
morning photography on osogovo mountain, transfer to kresna gorge, afternoon photography session if time permits
day 7 - saturday - 21st april, 2020
morning & afternoon photography in kresna gorge
day 8 - sunday - 22nd april, 2020
morning photography in kresna gorge, transfer to sofia & flight to home location
- Accommodation on a non-shared basis (with no single supplement payable)
- Airport Transfers
- All hide sessions & appropriate permits
- All in-trip transportation
- All photography sessions & appropriate permits
- Food on a full board basis
- Guidance & advice from our Photography Holiday Guides
- Transportation between photographic locations
- All Drinks
- Any activities not listed on the itinerary
- Meals not listed on the itinerary
- Personal expenses of any type
- Required Insurances
- Tips & Gratuities
- Transportation to start location
What our clients say
- Jane Hodges - Skomer - 2018
From the start, the service is second to none with staff being friendly, supportive & very informative. Here’s to many many more photography holidays with NaturesLens.
- Make a Booking Enquiry
- How to Book
- Before booking, it is important that you read the relevant photography holiday event page & our Booking Terms & Conditions. If you have any doubts regarding your suitability for this photography holiday, please contact us. To book, simply click the relevant link from the event page on our website. You will then be sent a booking form & a copy of our terms & conditions. In order to secure your place on the selected photography holiday, simply complete the booking form with details of all persons travelling & holiday indemnity, in relevant cases, & return to us (either by email or by post) with confirmation that the deposit has been paid. Payments should be made via bank transfer.A deposit of 20% is required at the time of booking unless you are booking less than 90 days before departure. In this case, full payment of the photography holiday price is required.
- Recommended Equipment
Recommended Camera Equipment
For this photography holiday, we would recommend that you have available, an array of lenses at the lower end of the scale, the longest lens you will require will be a 70-200mm, but a dedicated macro lens or extension tubes is going to the be the workhorse for this photography holiday. A wide angle would also be useful if you fancy capturing some birds in the environment shots.
If you own a lens with an aperture of f/2.8 within the recommended focal length, bring it! These will allow you to focus on your subject faster & will also be useful in low light conditions.
You should also pack a tripod to help steady your lens, especially when you are out photographing at dawn & dusk.
For this photography holiday, the weather can be changeable so we would recommend that you pack layers of thin fleeces or mid shirts & jumpers since you can remove items of clothing as you start to warm up. You don't need to bring camouflage clothes but please do pack neutral coloured clothes so that you blend into the landscape. You should also bring a warm waterproof coat & waterproof trousers in case it rains, so you are covered for all eventualities.
Silk gloves or a thin pair of thermal gloves with rubber grip on the fingers & palm will help to keep your hands warm. Silk gloves are great for wicking away moisture from your hands, leaving them dry & therefore lovely & warm. Gloves where the fingers are cut away so that you can operate your camera with them on would be a good substitute.
Don't forget to pack sensible waterproof walking boots & a warm hat to protect your head.
- Additional Notes
- NaturesLens photography holidays do not include flights unless it is explicitly stated on the event page. When it is time to book your flights, we will send you the details in plenty of time to allow for bookings at the best available price. The photography holiday itinerary is subject to change & is to be considered provisional. NaturesLens photography holidays require a minimum number of participants in order to be viable. If this minimum number is not met, the photography holiday may not go ahead. This photography holiday has a minimum participant level of 4 plus NaturesLens guide(s). In the event that the minimum number for a photography holiday to go ahead is not reached, NaturesLens reserves the right to cancel any given photography holiday. In that event 100% of monies received will be returned. However, NaturesLens is not responsible for expenses incurred by its customers. Not all mentioned wildlife can be observed & photographed at all times of the year, thus some activities may be considered seasonal & not available.Please note the cuisine on many of the NaturesLens photography holidays is authentic & typical of the region in which you are travelling. International or western cuisine is often NOT available. If you have any concerns over the food arrangements or have any special dietary requirements, please contact us prior to making a booking.All personal luggage are the responsibility of the owner & we request that photography holiday participants limit their luggage to the equivalent of one suitcase, one flight bag, one camera bag & tripod. We do not wish to appear dictatorial in this matter & the request is made to ensure space & comfort for everyone in our vehicles.NaturesLens & its agents act only as agents for the passenger in all matters relating to travel arrangements, & as such, do not assume responsibility for injury, accident, damage, loss, delay or irregularity which may occur via defect of transportation or any other cause.NaturesLens reserves the right to substitute hotels, & other previously outlined arrangements as necessary, to either improve or equal the travel experience.NaturesLens reserves the right to pass on to photography holiday particpants any additional & unplanned expenditure incurred during a photography holiday, via events beyond the control of NaturesLens.
NaturesLens reserves the right to accept or decline any person as a member of any photography holiday. Payment of deposit by photography holiday participants or their representative constitutes their acceptance of all conditions contained herein. All bookings are made subject to our terms & conditions. Travel Insurance RequirementsIt is a condition of booking that you are insured against medical & personal accident risks. This must include cover for the activities to be undertaken during the photography holiday. We also strongly recommend you take out cover for cancellation & curtailment & baggage cover. We have made use of the services of Campbell Irvine Insurance in the past, Campbell Irvine has policies which are specially designed for adventure holidays & are underwritten by AXA Insurance. As an alternative, check your standard travel insurance, many bank accounts include suitable insurance as part of a packaged deal. Personal Travel Insurance can be arranged directly at Campbell Irvine. For photographic insurance, we highly recommend the services of Glover & Howe. We have made use of their policies for a number of years now, adjustments, policy maintenance & claims are handled in an easy & professional manner by them.
Reptiles & Amphibians of Bulgaria Photography Holiday Summary
Reptiles & Amphibians of Bulgaria Photography Holiday Payment Details
- Deposit required to secure a place: £350 payable upon making a booking.
- Final balance payment due: January 15th, 2020*. Bookings made after this date will require the full payment to secure a place.
- Bookings close: January 15th, 2020.
- No-interest payment plan: we offer a no-interest payment plan for our photography holidays. Please enquire for details.
- * Unless stated otherwise on our event booking form.
NaturesLens Limited is a company committed to customer satisfaction & consumer financial protection. We are therefore pleased to announce that, at no extra cost to you, & in accordance with ''The Package Travel, Package Tours Regulations 1992'' all passengers booking with NaturesLens Limited are fully insured for the initial deposit, & subsequently the balance of monies paid as detailed in your booking confirmation form.
The policy will also include repatriation if required, arising from the cancellation or curtailment of your travel arrangements due to the insolvency of NaturesLens Limited.