2019 – Wildlife of Costa Rica Photography Holiday
November 16 - December 1£4799 £3999
Costa Rica truly is a wildlife photographer’s dream come true! Literally meaning ‘rich coast’ in Spanish, Costa Rica has a wealth of natural diversity & wildlife, making it one of the most bio-diverse places on earth.
The various birds, that we will encounter can provide some of the most exciting wildlife photography opportunities, as their quick, unpredictable behaviour keeps us on our toes & enables captivating movement & in-flight imagery to be captured.
Our 15 night/16 day photography holiday to Costa Rica offers opportunities to photograph a huge range of native species, including sloth, as well as many others. We offer a package of accommodation on a non-shared basis (with no single supplement payable) & food on a half board basis, to ensure that all you need to worry about is taking unique & mesmerising photographs.
This trip will be packed with photography opportunities, we will cover many miles taking in Costa Rica’s famously diverse wildlife … mammals, reptiles, amphibians, insects & birds will ensure that this a trip that will make a huge impression.
Our photography tour ventures first to the Boca Tapada region, home to up to 350 different species of birds, among them the Collared Aracari, the Keel-billed Toucan & the Great Green Macaw; to Sarapiqui to photograph the various frogs, snakes & hummingbirds that our local guides will locate for us, then to a rainforest lodge, with stunning panoramic views of the famous Arenal Volcano & Lake Arenal, the lodge is set within 2000 acres of rainforest filled with exotic birds, wild animals & tropical vegetation.
The weather can vary between different times of day in this region at this time of year, so we advise that you bring layers & prepare for somewhat unpredictable weather conditions. Join NaturesLens for an amazing trip to photograph the diverse & startling Costa Rican wildlife, this is a wildlife photography experience you will never forget.
Places are limited, so book today!
Photographable Species: collared aracari, glass frog, green macaw, hummingbird, keel-billed toucan, king vulture, red-eyed tree frog, resplendent quetzal, sloth
Wildlife of Costa Rica Photography Holiday Itinerary
day 1 - saturday - 16th november, 2019
arrive san jose airport, overnight at hotel villa tournon
day 2 - sunday - 17th november, 2019
hummingbird photography on way to san gerado valley - 2 hour drive, overnight in san gerado valley
day 3 - monday - 18th november, 2019
quetzal photography followed by hummingbird photography, overnight in san gerado valley
day 4 - tuesday - 19th november, 2019
quetzal photography followed by hummingbird photography, then drive to sarapiqui - 3 1/2 hour drive - with a stop for hummingbird (snowcap & coquete) photograpjy, overnight in sarapiqui area
day 5 - wednesday - 20th november, 2019
full-day frog photography, overnight in sarapiqui area
day 6 - thursday - 21st november, 2019
hummingbird & other bird photography at copes, overnight in sarapiqui area
day 7 - friday - 22nd november, 2019
feeder photography at tico rainforest - 2 hour drive, overnight in tico rainforest area
day 8 - saturday - 23rd november, 2019
travel to boca topada - 2 hour drive, overnight in boca topada area
day 9 - sunday - 24th november, 2019
feeder photography followed by king vulture photography, overnight in boca topada area
day 10 - monday - 25th november, 2019
feeder photography followed by optional king vulture photography, overnight in boca topada area
day 11 - tuesday - 26th november, 2019
travel to arenal - 2 hour drive, overnight in arenal area
day 12 - wednesday - 27th november, 2019
spider, reptile & snake photography, overnight in arenal area
day 13 - thursday - 28th november, 2019
caño negro boat tour, overnight in arenal area
day 14 - friday - 29th november, 2019
travel to monte verde - 3 1/2 hour drive, overnight in monte verde area
day 15 - saturday - 30th november, 2019
photography walk at selvatura & hummingbirds, followed by travel to san jose - 3 1/2 hour drive, overnight at hotel villa tournon
day 16 - sunday - 1st december, 2019
flight to home location
- Accommodation on a non-shared basis (with no single supplement payable)
- Airport Transfers
- All hide sessions & appropriate permits
- All in-trip transportation
- All photography sessions & appropriate permits
- Food on a half board basis
- Guidance & advice from our Photography Holiday Guide
- Transportation between photographic locations
- Morning boat trips to photograph the Dalmatian Pelicans
- All Drinks
- Any activities not listed on the itinerary
- Meals not listed on the itinerary
- Personal expenses of any type
- Required Insurances
- Tips & Gratuities
- Transportation to start location
What our clients say
- Alan - Calera - 2017
Always good trips, with great photographic opportunities, & lots of camaraderie. Recommended!
- Make a Booking Enquiry
- How to Book
- Before booking, it is important that you read the relevant photography holiday event page & our Booking Terms & Conditions. If you have any doubts regarding your suitability for this photography holiday, please contact us. To book, simply click the relevant link from the event page on our website. You will then be sent a booking form & a copy of our terms & conditions. In order to secure your place on the selected photography holiday, simply complete the booking form with details of all persons travelling & holiday indemnity, in relevant cases, & return to us (either by email or by post) with confirmation that the deposit has been paid. Payments should be made via bank transfer.A deposit of 20% is required at the time of booking unless you are booking less than 90 days before departure. In this case, full payment of the photography holiday price is required.
- Recommended Equipment
Recommended Camera Equipment
For this photography holiday, we would recommend that you have available, an array of lenses from a macro lens, an intermediate telephoto lens such as the 70-200mm or 100-400mm, through to your longest lens, whether that is a 400mm, 500mm or 600mm. A wide angle would also be useful if you fancy capturing some environment or landscape shots.
If you own a lens with an aperture of f/2.8 within the recommended focal length, bring it! These will allow you to focus on your subject faster & will also be useful in low light conditions.
You should also pack a tripod to help steady your lens, especially when you are out photographing at dawn & dusk. Last but not least, don't forget to pack a flash or lighting unit.
For this photography holiday, we recommend that you pack neutral coloured t-shirts teamed with neutral coloured trousers & a hat to protect your head from the sun. January is the best time to visit Costa Rica as it is the dry season with maybe a little rain in the afternoon or evening showers. For this reason, you should also bring a waterproof jacket & waterproof trousers so you are covered for all eventualities. A fleece would also be useful for the cool evenings.
Sandals or easy shoes are great for the hotel but you will need sensible shoes for when you are out & about.
Don't forget to pack your sunglasses, plenty of sunscreen & insect repellent!
- Additional Notes
- NaturesLens photography holidays do not include flights unless it is explicitly stated on the event page. When it is time to book your flights, we will send you the details in plenty of time to allow for bookings at the best available price. The photography holiday itinerary is subject to change & is to be considered provisional. NaturesLens photography holidays require a minimum number of participants in order to be viable. If this minimum number is not met, the photography holiday may not go ahead. This photography holiday has a minimum participant level of 4 plus NaturesLens guide(s). In the event that the minimum number for a photography holiday to go ahead is not reached, NaturesLens reserves the right to cancel any given photography holiday. In that event 100% of monies received will be returned. However, NaturesLens is not responsible for expenses incurred by its customers. Not all mentioned wildlife can be observed & photographed at all times of the year, thus some activities may be considered seasonal & not available.Please note the cuisine on many of the NaturesLens photography holidays is authentic & typical of the region in which you are travelling. International or western cuisine is often NOT available. If you have any concerns over the food arrangements or have any special dietary requirements, please contact us prior to making a booking.All personal luggage are the responsibility of the owner & we request that photography holiday participants limit their luggage to the equivalent of one suitcase, one flight bag, one camera bag & tripod. We do not wish to appear dictatorial in this matter & the request is made to ensure space & comfort for everyone in our vehicles.NaturesLens & its agents act only as agents for the passenger in all matters relating to travel arrangements, & as such, do not assume responsibility for injury, accident, damage, loss, delay or irregularity which may occur via defect of transportation or any other cause.NaturesLens reserves the right to substitute hotels, & other previously outlined arrangements as necessary, to either improve or equal the travel experience.NaturesLens reserves the right to pass on to photography holiday particpants any additional & unplanned expenditure incurred during a photography holiday, via events beyond the control of NaturesLens.
NaturesLens reserves the right to accept or decline any person as a member of any photography holiday. Payment of deposit by photography holiday participants or their representative constitutes their acceptance of all conditions contained herein. All bookings are made subject to our terms & conditions. Travel Insurance RequirementsIt is a condition of booking that you are insured against medical & personal accident risks. This must include cover for the activities to be undertaken during the photography holiday. We also strongly recommend you take out cover for cancellation & curtailment & baggage cover. We have made use of the services of Campbell Irvine Insurance in the past, Campbell Irvine has policies which are specially designed for adventure holidays & are underwritten by AXA Insurance. As an alternative, check your standard travel insurance, many bank accounts include suitable insurance as part of a packaged deal. Personal Travel Insurance can be arranged directly at Campbell Irvine. For photographic insurance, we highly recommend the services of Glover & Howe. We have made use of their policies for a number of years now, adjustments, policy maintenance & claims are handled in an easy & professional manner by them.
Wildlife of Costa Rica Photography Holiday Summary
Wildlife of Costa Rica Photography Holiday Payment Details
- Deposit required to secure a place: £800 payable upon making a booking.
- Final balance payment due: August 16th, 2019*. Bookings made after this date will require the full payment to secure a place.
- Bookings close: September 1st, 2019.
- No-interest payment plan: we offer a no-interest payment plan for our photography holidays. Please enquire for details.
- * Unless stated otherwise on our event booking form.